Here are some pics and video clips of the worst of the Irma Hurricane damage at the SSS and nearby. You will also see a pic of Juanita, our San Juan 23, who came through unscathed! Please keep in mind that the majority of boats were in good shape after Irma. As you can see, some were not 🙁
Have a look at the pic of the water with the 3 buoys – apparently the guy took the rig (mast, etc) down, and sunk his boat ON PURPOSE in the middle of the basin “so it wouldn’t be lost in the surge”. I have heard that he is an Engineer 😉
Also – apparently the Cormorants decided that the water was “for the birds”, and decided to roost in the club’s trees. Here we see our fearless manager shooing them off with bottle rockets! Great fun! Click below to see the album.
Fun, challenging sail at Council Bluff today. The kick up rudder head was falling apart so I re-epoxied last night. Of course that meant I had to sacrifice mowing time to test the rudder out today. Darn!!
Sunday, I took the FJ, the latest addition to The Yacht Barn armada, out for the first time. We went to a small nearby fishing lake, that has probably never seen a sailboat 🙂 As I was packing up to come home, a couple came to see “the guy with a sailboat on Bismarck Lake”. Apparently, our picture had already made it to Facebook!
Stopped on my way back from Camdenton a couple of weeks back for some evening fishin’ on Lake of the Ozarks. Pepper the dog was just chillin’ with me. Fish didn’t pay us no mind, but we had a relaxing couple hours 😉
Back in January, my brother came to visit us for a week in Florida. We had planned a great sailing adventure aboard Juanita, but the cards were stacked against us. Outboard trouble and weather kept us in the slip for most of the 3 days we’d set aside. However, we had the foresight to bring the kayaks, “just in case”! We had a blast, after all! Take a look:
Thanks to my friend Brian for finding this gem… These boats were sailed as an Olympic class from the 1920’s, I believe, up until 2012, when they were replaced. There is still a strong international racing fleet and association. For more information, check out the association website, http://www.starclass.org/index.shtml
This boat is Star #6860. She came with “three back sails, and two front sails” according to the owner. She is a Mader (Germany) boat, and was manufactured in the early 1980’s according to my research. The sails look to require cleaning and maybe a few small patches, but are otherwise crisp and serviceable. I would assume anyone serious about racing would want new sails. The galvanized trailer is in great condition, including working brakes and lights. It could certainly use new tires, but there is a like-new spare.
I don’t intend to actually sail this boat (although it could happen), but instead bought it as an investment. She is for sale, as-is, where is – for $2,000 OBO. If needed, I could part out the boat and trailer. She did not come with a title, but I am in contact with the previous two owners and will be working on getting a MO or FL title for both the boat and trailer.
Here is a current photo album, which I will be updating as I figure out how to rig her, etc:
www.waterwayguide.com is a great resource! Check it out. Also, yours truly alerted waterwaygiuide to the issues at New Pass – our “backdoor” to the Gulf here at the Sarasota Sailing Squadron. Check it out:
I see I never followed up about the Georgia-Pacific, a homebuilt plywood Michael Storer-designed canoe I built over last summer… The reason/excuse for building the canoe was a “second annual” camping/river trip, and my buddy had his own canoe this time (we both rented the first year). The trip was a great success, and the GP did great:
However, the pine keel took a beating on the rocks/gravel – which is pretty much the standard river bottom around here. The keel was encased in 3 heavy coats of epoxy, but no fiberglass tape. I don’t think the fiberglass would have helped much either, under the conditions. So, I’ve devised an aluminum keel protector:
My initial plan was to glue the 1/16 in. by 1 in. flat aluminum stock onto the keel with Liquid Nails, using a few drywall screws to hold temporarily. However, after a 24 hour cure, the Liquid Nails is still soft, and isn’t going to hold. So, I’m leaving the screws in for now.
Since I’m using 2 8foot sections of stock, I tried using thickened epoxy for the glue on the second half. Just now finished that, so we’ll see how it works after a cure. One issue I’m sure is causing the non-cure is that we’ve had highs between 45 and 50 degrees F. So, maybe I just need to be very patient 🙂
Finally got back to Florida, and we were able to go sailing this weekend! Sharon, Adam, Bekah and I had a good time sailing for a couple hours in the bay, after having to do some remote work from the club porch for a client back in Missouri. We had a great time, but I’m not sure we got any pictures! Sorry about that.
We left the boat in the water at the NEW floating dock for the night, and the next day (Sunday) I went back up by myself. I was able to get about 3 hours of sailing in, solo, and learned alot about Juanita. The main thing I learned is that she sails GREAT! No offense to Eeyore, but there’s just very little comparison. I am thrilled!